Waterproofing of dry wall humid areas
ISOMAT SL 17 Elastomeric liquid membrane for waterproofing under tiles
AQUAMAT-ELASTIC Two-component, elastic waterproofing slurry
UNI-PRIMER Acrylic, water-based primer
POLYESTER FLEECE FOR WATERPROOFING LAYERS Polyester fleece for reinforcing waterproofing layers
FIBERGLASS MESH Fiberglass mesh for reinforcing waterproofing layers.
I. NATURE OF THE PROBLEM – REQUIREMENTS
Areas that are constantly subject to moisture, such as bathrooms, showers, sanitary areas etc. that have been built with dry wall materials (gypsum boards, chipboards etc.) must be waterproofed, since these materials are easily ruined by moisture in order to avoid water leakages (in the form of moisture) to neighboring areas.
Such waterproofing is normally applied underneath tiles that usually cover the surfaces of humid areas. The waterproofing layer must provide complete watertightness but also sufficient elasticity, since it is applied on substrates that are dimensionally unstable or suffer from vibrations. Furthermore, it must be resistant and durable because any future intervention to repair the waterproofing layer would be difficult and expensive.
Usual sanitary rooms with average requirements
ISOMAT® SL 17 is an ideal solution for waterproofing surfaces in humid areas that are subject to periodic moisture, such as bathrooms, showers etc. in houses or offices, whose walls are dimensionally unstable or suffer from vibrations (gypsum boards, chipboards etc.). It is a brushable elastomeric liquid membrane, ready-to-use, without solvents. After its application, it provides high elasticity, watertightness, and vapor permeability.
It is not suitable for areas with constant water presence.
Sanitary rooms with higher requirements
AQUAMAT-ELASTIC is an ideal solution for waterproofing surfaces in humid areas where moisture is constantly present. It is a 2-component elastic cement-based brushable sealing slurry, which provides complete watertightness and high elasticity. It is appropriate for gypsum board and chipboard surfaces, etc. AQUAMAT-ELASTIC is especially recommended for waterproofing surfaces of humid areas with higher requirements, such as bathrooms or showers etc. of industrial areas, swimming pools, meeting halls etc.
Preparation of the substrate
- The substrate must be free of grease, loose particles, dust etc.
- When required, total smoothing of the substrate is carried out in order to create an even surface for the application of the waterproofing material and the subsequent tile fixing.
- The surface should be primed with the special acrylic primer UNI-PRIMER.
Consumption of UNI-PRIMER: 100-200 gr/m2, depending on the substrate’s absorptivity.
- Depending on the conditions, the application of Isomat® SL 17 or AQUAMAT-ELASTIC follows.
Application of ISOMAT® SL 17
ISOMAT® SL 17 may be applied with a brush or roller in 2 layers, after the primer has dried. The first coat should dry completely before the second one is applied.
Alternatively, it may be applied in one stage by using a 3 to 4 mm notch trowel. In this case, the “combed” layer must be smoothed and leveled with a smooth trowel. This ensures uniform thickness of the layer.
Across construction joints and at the intersections between walls and floors, local reinforcing of the sealing membrane with a 10 cm wide fibreglass mesh tape or polyester cloth tape is recommended. In these areas, one layer of Isomat® SL 17 12-15 cm wide is applied and the reinforcing material is put in place while the ISOMAT® SL 17 layer is still fresh. Afterwards, 2 more local coatings follow. The second coat should be applied after the first one is dry.
Consumption of ISOMAT® SL 17: 1-1,5 kg/m2, depending on the absorptivity of the substrate.
Application of AQUAMAT-ELASTIC
- The content of the 25 kg bag (component A) of AQUAMAT-ELASTIC is added into the 10 kg of liquid (component B) under continuous stirring, until a uniform viscous mixture is formed, suitable for brush application. A low revolution mixer (300 rpm) may be used for mixing.
- AQUAMAT-ELASTIC is applied with a brush, in 2-3 coats. Each new coat should be applied after the previous one has dried completely. To avoid cracking, the thickness of each layer should not exceed 1 mm.
Consumption of AQUAMAT-ELASTIC: 2-3 kg/m2 in total.
Across construction joints and at the intersections between walls and floors or wall-to-wall, local reinforcement of the sealing membrane with a 10 cm wide fibreglass mesh tape or polyester cloth tape is recommended. In these areas, a coat of AQUAMAT-ELASTIC 12-15 cm wide is applied, and the reinforcing material is put in place while the AQUAMAT-ELASTIC layer is still fresh. Afterwards, two more local coatings follow. The second coat should be applied after the first is dry.
- Since substrates made of gypsum board, chipboard etc. are sensitive to small movements and vibrations, it is recommended that the ceramic tile fixing is carried out with adhesives elastified by the addition of ADIFLEX-B.
- Temperature during application must be at least +5OC.
- Consult the usage risks and safety advice written on the bag.